May is Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month, an important opportunity for Childhood Asthma Leadership Coalition member organizations and their partners to raise awareness of the important role public policy plays in helping children with asthma stay healthy.
We can help parents and policymakers around the country see that decisions in Washington and state capitals have an important impact on the health of local children. We encourage you to use this toolkit to observe Asthma Awareness Month and to customize it to fit the needs of your organization.
This toolkit offers ideas and examples you can use in your community. Feel free to use any or all of these resources:
- A sample op-ed describing the importance of Medicaid for children with asthma, with a call to action to Congress urging Members to reject Medicaid cuts, block grants, and per capita caps
- A tipsheet on pitching newspaper opinion editors
- A tipsheet for messaging and framing your argument
- Sample Facebook and Twitter posts designed to gradually move your online networks, over the course of the month from awareness of Medicaid’s important role for children with asthma to engagement with policymakers
- A social media tipsheet
- Twitter Cover Image: Download Image
- Facebook cover image: Download Image 1 | Download Image 2 | Download Image 3
- Facebook Post: Download Image 1 | Download Image 2 | Download Image 3 | Download Image 4 | Download Image 5 | Download Image 6
- Twitter Post: Download Image 1 | Download Image 2
The toolkit was developed by First Focus for Coalition members. If you have questions or need extra help, please feel free to contact the First Focus communications team. If you use the toolkit in your Asthma Awareness Month outreach efforts, please share examples of your work to make it even easier for other Coalition members to get involved.